Saturday, July 23, 2016

7 Tips for Fantastic Honeymoon Sex

Welcome to my first column for Psychology Today! I’m a licensed psychotherapist specializing in sex therapy. I’m also somewhat recently married–coming up on my three
year wedding anniversary with my husband. I chose to focus this column on sex in the early years of a marriage, as I think this is a very important time for couples. It’s an opportunity to create a great foundation for your sex life, and develop the kind of intimacy that will help you weather the storms most marriages will inevitably face.
Today, I’m focusing on the honeymoon itself. I see a lot of couples for premarital therapy, and the honeymoon is always a popular topic of conversation. There’s obviously a lot of sexual expectation that gets placed on the honeymoon, so it’s important to minimize that pressure and focus on enjoying this opportunity to celebrate and connect.
 Here are 7 ways to ensure you have a hot honeymoon:
1) Talk about your desires beforehand
Long before the wedding, take the time to sit down with your partner and discuss what you’d like your honeymoon to look like. What are the hopes you have for sex and intimacy during this trip? Make sure you’re on the same page about what you’re looking for.  
2) Prioritize intimacy
Vacation is one of those rare times where you have the opportunity to decide exactly how you want to schedule your days. You may be tempted to do a lot of sightseeing and exploring on your honeymoon, but try to make time for relaxation. You’re going to be exhausted after your wedding, so schedule at least a couple of days to destress. You also want to make sure to leave plenty of space open for the two of you to have quality intimate time. Bonding after this huge milestone in your life is way more important than visiting another museum!

No comments:

Post a Comment